Scientists[Apply at HJF]
We are looking for postdoctoral, junior, and senior scientists to join the Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute (BHSAI). These openings are for dynamic scientists with an interest in working in an interdisciplinary environment with a focus on the development and application of computational solutions to biomedical problems. The BHSAI seeks scientists interested in bioinformatics, computational chemistry, predictive toxicology and pharmacology modeling, systems biology, signal processing of time-series physiological data, data mining, data-driven and physiology-based models, and artificial intelligence. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in a related discipline and a strong publication record. Experience in high-performance computing is a plus. Candidates are expected to simultaneously work on multiple projects with a diverse and interdisciplinary team of scientists across multiple laboratories. These positions are located in Frederick, MD.
Research topics include the following:
- Systems biology approaches to study wound healing, coagulation, and pulmonary health
- Genome-wide association studies
- Computational drug design, including predictive toxicology and pharmacology modeling
- Analysis and integration of large-scale biological protein-protein interaction networks with biomedical data
- Modeling and integration of metabolic networks with signaling and transcriptional networks
- Develop algorithms that are predictive for an individual's future physiological state
- Specific modeling of blood glucose levels and sleep/alertness states
Software Developer[Apply at HJF]
We are looking for two software developers to join the BHSAI. The software developer will create and maintain a wide variety of software solutions to support life science research areas. Because the work and technologies involved vary from project to project, we look for candidates with expertise and interests in a broad range of areas, including the following: systems programming, web and mobile app development, writing scientific code for parallel processing, and developing visualization solutions for complex scientific data. We need versatile candicates who are willing to work on a diverse array of exciting projects, proactive about exploring and adopting the latest software technologies, and enthusiastic about solving problems across the full stack.
The minimum requirements for the software developer position are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Hands on experience in professional or open source software development in either of the following areas: web-based applications using Java Platform, Android/iOS applications, and graphical user interfaces
- Expertise in one or more programming languages, such as Java, Python, C, or C++
- Understanding of relational database concepts and SQL
The following are desired skills and experiences:
- A master's degree in computer science or a related discipline
- Experience working independently on all stages of systems development life cycle
- Experience using a source code version control system, such as Git
- Knowledge of DevOps, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Knowledge of Windows and Linux system administration
Junior Systems Administrator[Apply at HJF]
HJF is seeking a Junior Systems Administrator to support the Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute (BHSAI) located in Frederick, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to BHSAI.
Junior System Administrator to support the Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute (BHSAI). Responsible for IT infrastructure maintenance and IT user support. Specific areas include mobile and wearable device setup, L1 and L2 IT support, data backups and Windows and Linux systems maintenance.
The basic requirements are:
- Highschool diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in computer science preferred.
- Knowledge of OpenBSD or Linux-based firewalls and routers.
- Knowledge of DHCP and DNS
- Knowledge of Cyber security
- Must have lived in the U.S. 3 out of the past 5 years; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/ Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Preference will be given to candidates with the following additional experience:
- Familiarity with Windows Active Directory and Group Policy in Server 2012 R2.
- Backups and disaster recovery planning in a mixed OS environment, ideally using Bacula.
- Hardware knowledge: building computers from parts, updating and configuring BIOS, creating RAID volumes, wiring physical networks.
- Prior experience with installing LAMP servers: bare metal to a fully operational and secure system exposed to the public Internet.
- Automating system configuration through Puppet, maintaining the configuration files in Git or another version control system, and monitoring performance with Zabbix.
- Some programming/scripting experience in both *nix and Windows.
Additional consideration will be given to any candidate with extensive knowledge of virtualization (Hyper-V or XenServer), computational server clusters, SANs, 10 gigabit networks, and more advanced networking topics such as VLANs, NIC bonding, multipathing, packet capture, etc.
This employment is provided through The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (hjf.org). HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to the BHSAI.
Foreign nationals (OPT, H1B, permanent residents) and U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply. A background requirement is that the employee must have lived in the U.S. for three of the last five years. These positions are located in Frederick, Maryland.
HJF administers innovative medical research, supports education and training, and facilitates collaborations between the military and private medical communities. We provide comprehensive management and scientific services for more than 1,000 basic, clinical and applied research projects conducted around the globe. We also support continuing medical education programs for more than 160 military medical research and treatment facilities, and military medical organizations. AA/EEO
For a comprehensive list of our benefits, please visit: https://guide.hjf.org/hr/benefits.html/